Different First Dance Songs for your Delectation
Ah, the first dance. The climactic moment of romance before the party proper gets started. Many couples are lucky enough to have a special song that lends itself perfectly to accompanying the first dance, but for others picking a song that perfectly represents them as a couple proves to be a little more difficult. Of course, there are many classic first dance songs to choose from, as well as modern hits that strike a chord at that moment in time, but what if a couple wants to deviate from the norm and opt for wedding songs that are a little different?
Looking To Hire A Wedding Band?
One option is to follow in the dance-steps of those couples who have chosen to eschew tradition and perform a choreographed wedding dance routine, of which there are some great examples in our All-Time Favourite Wedding Dance Routines Blog.
For those who perhaps aren’t quite so gifted on the dance floor, or who want to indulge in the romance of the traditional first dance, but with an alternative first dance song, we offer our selection of 20 First Dance Songs You’ve Never Thought Of (you’ve probably thought of some of them, but we had to call it something!).
If you’re struggling with wedding song ideas, let us inspire you with our list of unusual first dance songs; even if you aren’t in the midst of wedding planning, these cool wedding songs can be enjoyed at any time!
1. Reuben – Nobody Loves You Like I Do
Don’t be misled by the song title, this is a sensitive tribute to being in love with every aspect of a person, of knowing someone in a way only a husband or wife can. Also, one of Entertainment Nation’s founders had this as their first dance, so we have to include it really.
2. Chantal Kreviazuk – Feels Like Home
A complete change of mood, but again an Entertainment Nation founder had this as first dance at their wedding, so it makes the cut. This song feels like a more traditional first dance song, but is lesser known than the usual weddingy big ballads.
3. Wolfman featuring Pete Doherty – For Lovers
Legendary hell raiser Pete Doherty demonstrating a surprisingly sensitive side. Escape into your new spouse’s arms and dance like you’re the only ones in the room to this understated indie ballad.
4. Blood, Sweat & Tears – You Make Me So Very Happy
A difficult song to categorise this one, but if you’re into feel-good, prog-pop then “You Make Me So Very Happy” could work for you!
5. The Troggs – With A Girl Like You
Most famous for Wild Thing, The Troggs were also the original performers of that all-time wedding favourite “Love Is All Around”. This song has a quintessentially Sixties vibe and is perfect for guys who are punching above their weight (all of us!).
6. Bright Eyes – First Day Of My Life
Quirky with lovely lyrics, “First Day of My Life” captures the hope and happiness of the shared new beginning symbolised by marriage.
7. Van Morrison – Into The Mystic
What is marriage if not a great big mystery to be explored? Van Morrison’s country-inflected tune is a heartfelt serenade as you cast off into the unknown waters of your journey together.
8. Adam Sandler – Grow Old With You
“Adam Sandler?!” we hear you cry. Yes, Adam Sandler. This touching and humorous little ditty from “The Wedding Singer” epitomises the loving dedication that goes into a cultivating happy marriage. Its short duration also makes the song ideal for reticent dancers who want to be out of the spotlight ASAP!
9. The Musgraves – Discover Me
A haunting, soulful track by a little-known, but highly talented folk pop band from the West Midlands. The message of constant discovery in an established relationship is one perfectly suited to marriage.
10. Otis Redding – I Love You More Than Words Can Say
That voice. Quite simply a gorgeous song, sung by one of the all-time greats.
11. Incubus – Here In My Room
This is how everyone should see their husband or wife, standing out in “full blown technicolour”. The concept of love as a verb is a mantra to live by.
12. Ben Folds – The Luckiest
The vulnerability of Ben Folds’ voice combines faultlessly with the simple, yet timeless meaning of his sublime lyrics.
13. Fleetwood Mac – Songbird
Tremulous and delicate, like the eponymous Songbird, Christine McVie’s stunning vocal is a subtle and sweet accompaniment for a first dance.
14. The Beatles – And I Love Her
A perfect little love song from the Fab Four. Paul McCartney’s plaintive singing blends beautifully with George’s wistful guitar playing.
15. Johnnyswim – Paris In June
The ultimate material for a wedding song: it’s about Paris, the most romantic city, in June, the most romantic month (ok, that’s stretching things a little). Still, the idea that every day spent with your new spouse is like a summer stroll through the streets of that fair city is enchanting.
16. Arctic Monkeys – Baby I’m Yours
Heavily influenced by the Beatles, this Arctic Monkeys B Side is a charming choice for couples who want a modern interpretation of the rock’n’roll love song.
17. Ray La Montage – You Are The Best Thing
Smooth, smoky vocals, an honest, unadorned declaration of love and the infectious, upbeat horn section make this track a great choice to accompany you as you and your new husband or wife share your first dance as a married couple.
18. Nina Simone – Real Real
Getting married may be a fairytale, but marriage isn’t. Nina knows this and celebrates it – it’s the simple realities of love that make life worth living.
19. Blink 182 – I’m Lost Without You
Pop-punk pranksters Blink 182 are as capable of delivering powerful emotion as they are high-tempo mischief. This is one of their best ballads.
20. Randy Newman – You’ve Got A Friend In Me
And to end the list, we’re going with the theme from Toy Story… Anyone who’s made it through tough times with the help of their partner will appreciate the sentiment behind this one.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our playlist and found some inspiration for your own first dance. Are there any underrated wedding songs for a first dance that we’ve missed? If so, let us know in the comments!
A live rendition of your chosen song by a band can make your first dance extra special, and most of our wedding bands are happy to learn a first dance free of charge! If you’d like to find out more, get in touch with our friendly team between 10am and 6pm, seven days a week.
More Wedding Music Inspiration
- Your First Dance Is On This List! 250 Song Ideas
- 100 Of The Best Songs To Walk Down The Aisle To
- Over 100 Recessional Songs To Close Your Ceremony With A Bang!
- 300 Rock Wedding Songs To Get The Party Started
- 300 Indie Wedding Songs To Unite Your Guests On The Dance Floor
- The Best Soul And Motown Wedding Songs For Your Big Day!
- The Ultimate 70s Wedding Songs List!
- The Ultimate 80s Wedding Songs List!
- The Ultimate 90s Wedding Songs List!
- The Ultimate 2000s Wedding Songs List!
- The Ultimate 2010s Wedding Songs List!
- 60 Rock Songs For An Epic First Dance
- 60 Romantic and Fun Wedding Ceremony Songs!
- Songs From The Movies To Walk Down The Aisle To
- 20 Beautiful Classical Pieces For Your Wedding Ceremony
- 70 Sweet Wedding Cake Cutting Songs
- 80 Soul And Motown Songs For Your First Dance
- The 60 Most Romantic Jazz Wedding Songs And First Dances!
- 30 Beatles Wedding Songs To Make Every Moment Special
- Wedding Music For The Geeky Bride And Groom
- The Perfect Music For A Romantic Bridgerton-Themed Wedding
- 25 Perfect Wedding Last Dance Songs to Get Everyone Dancing
- 35 of the Most Romantic Disney First Dance Songs
- The Best Acoustic Folk Wedding Reception Songs!
- 100 Romantic Acoustic Guitar Wedding Ceremony Songs
- 50 Songs To Avoid On Your Wedding Day
- The Best R&B Wedding Songs For Your Big Day!
- 60 Pre-Wedding Songs To Get Ready To On Your Wedding Day!
- 50 Fun And Upbeat First Dance Songs!
- Classic First Dance Songs You’ll Love
- 60 Modern Wedding Songs For The Contemporary Couple
- 70 Wedding Entrance Songs To Start Your Reception The Right Way!